“How Can I Tell if My Home Network is Secure and Functioning Properly?”
It’s always a good idea to ensure your home computer network is secure and functioning properly, but with more work, education, shopping and entertainment being done online than ever before, it is critically important.
Here are a few simple steps you can take to ensure your Wi-Fi is secure:
- Make sure your Wi-Fi password is unique and difficult to hack. Make the password at least 15 characters long and include letters, numbers and symbols.
- Keep your router’s software up to date. Much like software updates on your phone or computer, a router software update can often contain security patches that are crucial to keeping your network secure.
- Make sure your firewall is turned on. Often, a Wi-Fi router will come with a firewall, but it is not active until you turn it on.
To ensure your network is operating at optimal speed, even with multiple devices running, here are some easy actions to implement:
- Believe it or not, the old cliché of “Have you tried restarting it?” applies to routers, too. If your speeds seem to have slowed down, unplug the router for a minute and plug it back in. You might be pleasantly surprised!
- Hardwire it. If you can plug that desktop computer directly into the router, you’ll get faster speeds and – bonus – you’ll free up bandwidth for other devices.
- Make your signal go farther in your house by using extenders or a mesh Wi-Fi system. These devices can amplify your Wi-Fi signal across areas of your house that your router may not reach, particularly if you have a large house or if your main router is not in a central location.
If you’re looking for a secure, high-performing network without the hassle of maintaining it, Nuvera Home Wi-Fi is an excellent option. Nuvera Home Wi-Fi takes the work out of managing and maintaining your home wi-fi setup so you can focus on what matters most to you. Add the Nuvera IQ app to give you easy access to monitor and control all aspects of your home network. Get these great features when you subscribe to Nuvera’s Home Wi-Fi:
- Enhanced Security
- Parental Controls
- Network Monitoring
- Guest Networks
- Enhanced Nuvera Support
Nuvera’s experts can perform a network assessment that allows you to see the vulnerabilities in your network as well as assess Internet speed and wireless coverage. Our TechTeam will go over everything with you after their assessment. Fill out the form or call 507.233.3000 for more information.